Thursday, September 22, 2011

2005.5 Jetta Brake Problems at 14,000 miles. . .?

@ 14,000 miles my brakes were squealing.

Took it in for service and was told that my Front Brakes needed to be replaced and that the rotors were a little bit damaged but I could get away with just changing the pads.

Now at 17, 000 miles I am told that my Rear brakes need to be changed. The service manager said that the pads probably only have 2,000 miles left and that the Rotors are burnt from Canyon driving. . . (???)

Said I need to replace both for $450. and that its all normal wear and tear and not covered under warranty.



I have only had the car for a little over 1 year.

How can I be having all these brake issues already?

and with no coverage under warranty?

Am I being ripped off?



thanks2005.5 Jetta Brake Problems at 14,000 miles. . .?
I happen to love the problems with VW because they keep me in business. For one thing the front rotors should have been replaced when those pads went bad, (pick em up at a parts store then bring them into the mechanic and have him put them in You'll save Mucho dollars then if the Mechanic sells them to you) Your rear brakes should not be so worn out at 17K Rear pads last the longest as they only account for approximately 25% of the braking. I would also question the driving. I dont know where you live but Canyon Driving doesn't sound so good for any VW get a jeep for that, VW's are ment for 125 miles an hour on a German Highway.



Also Brakes are almost Never covered under warranty they fall into a wear and tear category that can be blamed on the driver so Tires aren't ever covered either.



It's Bumper to Bumper and nothing below em.

And I dont think your being ripped off I think you have a typical mechanic their, charing what VW's Cost to repair.

Try to remember in the future that German Auto's alsways have expensive parts. Never cheap to maintain.



Good luck2005.5 Jetta Brake Problems at 14,000 miles. . .?
this is called planned obselence - it happens a lot with german cars. there is no reason for you brakes to be wearing out at 15k miles unless they were complete crap to begin with or you have been driving really hard and riding your brakes like crazy. normal wear for brake pads is about 30 to 40k miles. and brake pads should never cost more that 50 dollars a pair and should be about an hour's worth of labor to put them on - so about 150 to 175 total. yes, it sounds like you getting screwed. take it to a local garage and get an estimate from them - better yet buy the pads from autozone and then take it to a shop and have them put on. the best advise to take as much of the repairs into your own hands and then you can keep costs way down by eliminating the middle man2005.5 Jetta Brake Problems at 14,000 miles. . .?
I HAVE REPLACED A LOT OF VW REAR BRAKE PADS AT THE 20000 MILE AREA. THE EXPLANATION I HAVE BEEN GIVEN IS THE REAR PADS ARE MADE OF A SOFTER MATERIAL TO PREVENT SQUEEKING. YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO REPLACE REAR ROTORS UNLESS THEY ARE WARPED. [BRAKE PEDAL PULSATION WHEN STOPPING]