Thursday, September 22, 2011

97 Mustang Convertible?

I have a couple of questions...



1. My A/C blows cold but only blows out of the defrost. It's freakin hot down here in Houston so if anyone has any suggestions about it please tell me. I heard of a blend door that might be causing it if it is stuck, where is it and can I open it manually?



2. My auxillary and cig lighter don't work. A penny dropped down in it and it's been kaput ever since, it'd be nice to charge my cell phone when we have another Ike incident and don't have power for a week or so.



3. I have a grinding, clunking sound coming from my front wheels. I noticed when I changed my brakes my rotor seemed to be freely moving around in there, is it supposed to be tight in there or no? How can I fix this? Otherwise my brakes work, it just sounds like my front end is going to flop out and is quite annoying.97 Mustang Convertible?
1.Probably a vacuum leak not letting the blend door operate properly. 2.Probably a blown fuse. 3.Probably a wheel bearing.97 Mustang Convertible?
-For the aircon blowing out of the defrost- there are a few possible reasons, related to the vacuum as well as the blend door controller;

1. a vacuum switch (vacuum router valve) coming from the engine bay might have become clogged and needs to be replaced (inexpensive);

2. the vacuum collector tank located inside the dashboard may have cracked and can no longer maintain sufficient vacuum pressure to operate the blend doors and needs to be replaced. (moderately expensive);

3. a vacuum hose may have become dislodged/ cracked inside the engine bay or underneath the dashboard leading to the vacuum tank, leading to a loss in vacuum pressure;

4. the blend door operating piston mechanism (commonly located under the dashboard in the passenger side footwell), may have become stuck or the piston may have become worn leading to a vacuum leak.



-For the aux. and cig. lighter;

1. check the fuses under the drivers side panel- it will probably be a 10amp or 15 amp fuse that may have tripped as a result of the coin. (retrieve coin first)

2. if the fuses are ok, then it will most definitely be a wiring mistake or a dislodged wire.



-The brakes:

the rotor (big shiny steel disk) is supposed to rotate along with the wheel itself. no trouble there.



-Grinding, clunking sound(?!):

1. if the sound resembles a cracking/ crunching noise that occurs mainly during braking, accelerating, and or turning, then have the %26quot;ball-joints, steering knuckles, and control- arms%26quot; of the front suspension checked immediately (have you noticed that your vehicle wanders frequently from side to side, or that you have to keep adjusting the steering frequently to keep the car on course?)- then it is definitely that the front suspension requires urgent attention! (expensive repair service)

2. ball bearing failure could also be a distant cause although highly unlikely.



At any rate- you must have the front suspension checked out at an authorised ford service centre or independant as quickily as humanly possible- because if left unchecked, the front suspension could give way at speed which may result in a collision.